logo PORTAIL.WALLONIE.MUSEUM visiter voir apprendre informer

Viroin Ecomuseum

TREIGNESCarte wallonie


[en] Description

[en] Informations pratiques


Conference, training course, workshop, event [fr]

Photo gallery

[en] Documentations [fr]

[en] Publications [fr]

[en] Infrastructure

[en] Dans la région ... [fr]


Ecomusee du Viroin - asbl DIRE

Rue Eugene Defraire, 63





Ethnology   Regional   History


[en] Description



The Ecomuseum presents the main craft trades practised in the past in the Entre-Sambre-et-Meuse region. More than 6.000 tools illustrate the trades which in yesteryear made up the economic wealth of the region: woodworkers, carpenters, lumberjacks, clog makers, coopers (barrel makers), basket makers, tanners, saddle makers, cobblers...). It is also more than 150 machines retracing the agricultural history of Belgium from 1850 to 1950. The witnesses of a region can be the tools or the machines, but also the people. The Ecomuseum has sought out the folk from these parts to get a sense of what they have seen, have heard, have felt... It has noted, rewritten, and archived the testimonies of these homefolks who retell the life of the region in the past century. The farmstead-castle, located in the heart of the village, is in itself a remarkable architectural structure. It edifies the bustling history of the region since its foundation in the 16th century. The square tower was built in the 16th century. The protective character of this tower, modelled after mediaeval dungeons, is mostly symbolic. The dungeon allowed the owner and his family to shelter themselves against the hordes: prowlers, underpaid soldiers, or the Burgundian, Liegeois and French troupes who fought over the possession of the land. During the 17th century the tower was complemented on its north side by a building. It rests on a blind cellar. During the 18th century, the construction presented a sharp contrast with its high rooms and the dimensions of its windows which provided more light, and displayed a new found comfort and a concern of regained security after the signature of the treaties of 1715. The former stables, set perpendicular to the roadway, date back to the 18th century, as well as the vast barn which was built in several stages. The latter was destroyed by a criminal fire in 1979. In the 19th century the servants